In my last post, I made some suggestions for acting in love during the current economic crisis. I’d like to expand the discussion and create a more comprehensive list of tips for shifting to love when you feel fear gaining hold in your mind, spirit or body.
First, the fear/love choice is like this famous optical illusion - if you look hard at the picture of your life, you see the young lady but if you soft focus your gaze you see another image, the old lady. The same can be said about fear and love. When faced with a difficult situation, our brain will glom onto the first perspective it can grasp (usually fear), but if we consciously look for another perspective, we can find it.
Here are some suggestions for choosing love:
- The heavenly perspective. I’ve already blogged about it, and it is my personal favorite this month. Let me know how it works for you!
- Take time to meditate and pray each day. My friend Mariel writes down a verse from scripture or from some other inspiring source and keeps that small piece of paper in her pocket all day to remind her of the divine love that continually surrounds her.
- Practice gratitude. Keep a gratitude journal. Notice and appreciate all the little things to be grateful for in your life.
- Notice synchronicities or God’s grace in your life. They happen all the time. For example, yesterday, I was racing out of the office for an appointment, and when I picked up my purse, a small voice immediately reminded me that my wallet was in another room. I snatched my wallet and ran out the door, thanking the angel that prevented me from forgetting a very important item.
- Silently bless the people you encounter during the day. Pray for people you are about to meet with or work with. Notice how that practice affects the quality of your interaction with that person.
There are so many more ideas. I open it up to your comments and suggestions. How do you choose love instead of fear?